From time to time I get questions from folks asking me “What is the best debugging tool for PowerPivot?” – The Answer is that there is clear cut favorite and it is EXTREMELY useful, but I didn’t know that it was released to the public. Well . . . after some investigation, it looks like it is available – not only that, it has been for a while. But better late than never . . take a look at it!
From the Codeplex docs:
The ULSViewer tool performs various actions against the data from ULS log files in order to better analyze it. ULSViewer allows the user to:
- Highlight data of importance to the user on the fly
- Bookmark log entries
- Append logs to other logs in order to track trends
- Hide unimportant data
- Only view critical log entries by sorting data by severity
- Write rules to prompt the user when certain events occur
- View your data in a spreadsheet instead of the text file ULS generates
- Monitor remote machines logs that are running ULS services <—my favorite feature!
- Open multiple logs at the same time in order to compare log files.
- Open logs files from multiple machines at the same time.